Kariwak Sweet Potato and Tomato Soup with Fresh Basil
- 1/4 lb onion
- 1 lb peeled sweet potatoes
- 1/3 lb peeled tomato
- 2 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh oregano or 2 tsp dry oregano
- 1 cup fresh basil, coarsely chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Make vegetable stock from any vegetable parings, such as celery and onion, but go easy on cabbage and sweet pepper, as they tend to make the stock too acidic.
- Saute onion in a little oil
- Peel and cube the sweet potatoes and tomatoes into bite-sized pieces. Add sauteed onion, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, oregano, salt and pepper to the stock.
- As soon as sweet potatoes are cooked (10-15 minutes), remove from heat. Blend half the mixture to give the soup body. Add chopped basil just before reheating to serve.
Find more great Kariwak recipes in Cynthia's cookbook. Reserve your copies today!